We are a disability confident employer that proudly holds a Thrive at work wellbeing award. As part of our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion, all applications will be anonymised before being submitted to the shortlisting panel. You may, if you wish, submit an anonymised CV; however, please ensure your application meets the criteria listed and that we have an email address or phone number to contact you about your application.
To oversee horticultural operations at HSL and the production of heritage vegetable seed to Soil Association standards.
- To oversee all horticultural operations for HSL seed production, including planning, sowing to harvesting of seed, and grounds maintenance.
- Oversee conducting assessment trials and characterisation of varieties.
- Lead on development and delivery of the integrated pest management plan (IPM).
- Lead on development and delivery of the site’s soil management system, including waste management and rotation.
- Maintain and develop HSL grow-out records
- Oversee the maintenance of the HSL area to a high standard and to Soil Association organic certification requirements.
- Maintain and present records for Soil Association inspection.
- Supervise horticulture staff.
- Supervise volunteers, work experience and students.
- Participate in the development and delivery of training, workshops, webinars and similar events for the Horticulture Directorate.
- Liaise with the gardens team Head Gardener on joint operational planning and activities.
- Assist in the development of the HSL database.
- Assist in seed cleaning and packeting of seed as required.
- Assist in the processing of seed orders as required.
- May be required to work occasional weekends on HSL displays/stalls or as part of weekend duty.
- May be required to deputise for the Head of the Heritage Seed Library on occasion.
It is the nature of the work of Garden Organic that tasks and responsibilities are, in many circumstances, unpredictable and varied. All staff are, therefore, expected to work in a flexible way when the occasion arises where tasks are not specifically covered in the Job Description have to be undertaken.
Please submit your application via CV and supporting statement detailing how your skills and experience meet the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can download the full job description below.
We welcome informal discussions about the role by calling 07368310391 or sending an email to email@example.com.