We are a disability confident employer that proudly holds a Thrive at work wellbeing award. As part of our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion, all applications will be anonymised before being submitted to the shortlisting panel. You may, if you wish, submit an anonymised CV; however, please ensure your application meets the criteria listed and that we have an email address or phone number to contact you about your application.
Garden Organic is the national charity for organic growing. We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced gardener to join our hardworking, enthusiastic friendly team of gardeners and volunteers.
The organisation has invested in an inspiring new organic demonstration garden. We are looking for someone to join us to help maintain and develop the garden in line with Garden Organic's principles of organic gardening and Soil Association certification requirements. The successful candidate will also help to engage and inspire members, individuals and communities through tours, workshops and training.
- Organic Garden maintenance
- Monitoring the health of all plants and green areas and treating as appropriate with organic controls/prevention.
- Watering and feeding regularly.
- Pruning and deadheading.
- Soil cultivation to include digging and no dig, mulching and composting.
- Mowing, strimming and hedge cutting.
- Planting and helping in the design and upkeep of the gardens.
- All types of propagation, including seed sowing, softwood cuttings and division.
- Weeding and keeping the borders, paths and working areas free of debris.
- Pest and disease control.
- Assisting in the planning of the crop rotation and keeping appropriate records.
Training and engagement
- Supervising volunteers and apprentices where required.
- Working closely with the Heritage Seed Library team, as and when required.
- Lead on garden tours and practical demonstrations to members of the public and visitors, training will be given.
- Assist the Knowledge Transfer Team in the delivery of education through face to face and online training, workshops, webinars etc
- Contribute to the Garden Organic PR and communications activity as required
- Supporting work with partner and community organisations as required
- Due to the nature of the organisation, some flexibility is required with working hours such as the occasional weekend for watering or garden events.
- Ensure the vision, mission and values of Garden Organic are upheld.
- Ensure the principles of all Garden Organic’s policies are upheld including Equal Opportunities, safeguarding, health and safety and data protection.
- All other duties as required by the Head Gardener and commensurate with the post.
It is the nature of the work of Garden Organic that tasks and responsibilities are, in many circumstances, unpredictable and varied. All staff are, therefore, expected to work in a flexible way when the occasion arises where tasks are not specifically covered in the Job Description have to be undertaken.
Please submit your application via CV and supporting statement detailing how your skills and experience meet the person specification to email@example.com. You can download the full job description below.
We welcome informal discussions about the role by calling 08368 310391 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org