Garden Organic's current Chief Executive, James Campbell, will be leaving the organisation in the summer after almost eight years in post. With interest in organic and sustainable growing booming, the Board of Trustees is now looking for a driven, dynamic and inspirational individual to build on James's achievements and lead the charity in the next chapter of its history.
Our Chief Executive role is complex and rewarding. The purpose of the role is to lead and be responsible for the successful management and development of Garden Organic (and associated charities and organisations), working to a strategic direction agreed by the Board of Trustees, and in accordance with all agreed policies and procedures.
- To lead Garden Organic in pursuit of its Vision, Mission and Purpose, ensuring that the highest standards of integrity, openness and professionalism are maintained, working within the context of our agreed organisational values
- To take the lead in bringing to the Board of Trustees such plans, strategies and policies as required, supporting Trustees in their strategic deliberations
- To support the Chair, Officers and other Trustees in their pursuance of the highest standards of Governance, which includes the organisation’s delivery against the declared charitable objectives
- To protect and promote the organisation’s respective brands and intellectual property, ensuring that maximum value is derived at all times
- To manage the organisation’s assets properly, and in accordance with agreed processes and procedures, to ensure the ongoing financial sustainability of the organisation
- To deliver against a robust organisational business plan that meets the agreed strategic direction, together with an annual operating plan and budget, and ensure that appropriate performance review and monitoring systems are in place
- To ensure that Garden Organic has a successful external profile by developing good relations with relevant partners at a national and local level, including Garden Organic members, the media, the public, benefactors and other stakeholders, representing the organisation by addressing and engaging a variety of audiences across the UK
- To oversee the development and delivery of appropriate research into organic growing practice, and to develop appropriate policies to support charitable objectives
- To lead, manage and motivate the Executive Team, assessing and evaluating performance and providing direction and support in delivering the organisation’s agreed business plan
- To oversee the delivery of strategies for an effective membership/supporter function, fundraising and the development of appropriate commercial relationships, and review and update these regularly
- To hold overall responsibility for the operational financial management of the Charity in conjunction with the COO and Head of Finance working closely with the Treasurer, hold exercising proper procedures
- To be responsible for an effective workforce recruitment and retention strategy (staff and volunteers), ensuring they are properly supported, trained and resourced so that they can deliver maximum value for the organisation
- To ensure full statutory and legal compliance for all aspects of the organisation as a company and as a charity, staying fully informed of new requirements and keeping the Board of Trustees appropriately informed
- To undertake other duties which may be necessary to ensure the organisation’s successful operation and development, and which are in keeping with the nature of the post.
Life insurance, 8% employer pension contribution. 25 days annual leave plus 8 bank holiday days. Flexible and remote working options considered.
Interviews to take place week commencing 15th March. Applications will be considered immediately after the closing date, and we will respond within seven days of the deadline.
To apply for this position, please send your CV and a supporting statement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an informal discussion about the role please call 07368 310 391 or email email@example.com
Please download a full copy of the Chief Executive recruitment pack below.